Today I’m sharing a Beginner’s Guide to Digital Scrapbooking.
A Beginner’s Guide to Digital Scrapbooking
What is Digital Scrapbooking?
The creative combination of images and words with digital graphics to yield memory keeping pages using photo-editing software programs.
- Images may include Photos, Scanned Images, Art Pieces and Documents and Vintage Ephemera.
- Words are provided in the form of WordART, Quotes, Poems, song Lyrics, your Memories and personal Stories.
- Digital Graphics can also be referred as Digital Designs, Digital Elements/Supplies or DigitalART.
- Photo-Editing Software is the computer program or platform you use to creatively bring these components together.
Why Start Digital Scrapbooking?
1. Space Efficient
- Keep your home or craft room ‘Neat and Tidy‘ without bulky and shelf-consuming craft supply storage.
- Neatly organize and save your Digital Designs on your computer, compact Hard-Drive or upload to iCloud for easy-access anywhere.
- Digital Scrapbooking eradicates ALL need to clean up and put your supplies away after creating your memory keeping pages.
- Your pages when printed will show beautiful Texture and Dimension but lack chunky embellishment enabling you to store MORE pages in an album or binder.
- Printing services also make it possible for you to print your pages into stunning hard-bound photo books in various shapes and sizes.
2. Reuse and Recycle
- Photo-Editing software enables you to Change or Modify digital designs to personalize to your photos.
- You can adjust the Color or Size of a digital paper or button embellishment, for example, to coordinate with a specific photo in a few easy steps.
- This means your DigitalART supplies have Unlimited usage possibilities with endless options for Experimentation.
- Simply ‘Undo‘ any mistakes at the click of a button without wasting any of your valuable tangible supplies.
3. Simple Reproductions
- Create ONE memory keeping page design and print Multiple times for family and friends.
- Save your digital scrapbooking pages on-line or to remote storage device for Safe Keeping from fire hazards and natural disasters.
- Easily access and download NEW digital scrapbooking supplies as needed Anytime and Anywhere.
- Digital projects can be modified, printed and reproduced in a variety of sizes and formats.
What is Hybrid Scrapbooking?
Offers the fusion of digitally created elements with traditional paper crafting approaches to scrapbooking.
- Perfect if you like a more ‘hands on’ approach to memory keeping and enables you to enjoy the best of both worlds.
- You scrapbooking pages will be part tactile paper crafting with the addition of elements created and manipulated with Photo-Editing Software.
- Many digital design elements can be printed and trimmed or cut-out for inclusion in your traditionally crafted pages.
CD Hybrid Project by Anna Aspnes
How to Begin Digital Scrapbooking
1. Choose Hardware
- You will need a computer/laptop with its keyboard, monitor and a mouse or trackball.
- Its not necessary to have worlds fanciest or most powerful computer but the more memory your computer has the faster it will run.
- Use an Apple Mac or a Microsoft PC per your preference and budget.
- Macs tend to be more expensive, are notoriously known for graphics and are said to be more intuitive.
- PCs conversely are more affordable and may have more software options available.
Note. You can also create digital scrapbooking pages on an iPad Pro with Procreate or using Apps on your iPhone.
Digital Scrapbooking Layouts in Procreate via Anna Aspnes and Dale Botha
2. Select Software
- There a variety of photo editing software programs available for use.
- Your choice will depend on your budget, preference and the type of digital scrapbooking you want to pursue.
- Adobe Photoshop CC and Adobe Photoshop Elements are most popular and recommended.
Adobe Photoshop CC (Creative Cloud)
- This professional version of the software is intended for graphic designers and photographers who are using the application daily for work purposes.
- Adobe offers various plans for individual users ranging from USD $9.99-$52.99 per month.
- You can sign up for a free trial of the software.
Photoshop Elements (PSE)
- Photoshop Elements includes many of the features in the professional version but with fewer simpler options, and is perfect for hobbyists and crafters.
- It offers everything the artsy scrapbooker needs, at a fraction of the price, making it the most widely used and supported digital scrapbooking software package available.
- New versions are typically released every two years and can be purchased from Adobe, Amazon and your local Costco store, if you are located in the United States.
NOTE. Your chosen device will need to support the software program at optimum capacity.
Find Your Style
There are lots of styles in digital scrapbooking.
- Graphic Modern
- Art Journaling
Types of Digital Graphics
Digital designs are delivered in a variety of formats.
- A .jpg is an image file and the format of Digital Paper designs.
- A .png file has a transparent background perfect for Transfers and Overlays, Brushes, Embellishments and AlphaSets elements.
- A .psd file is propriety to Adobe Photoshop CC and Adobe Photoshop Elements with a layered file format found in Templates and elements offering more than one customizable layer.
Digital Product Categories
- Typically 12 × 12 inch patterned or solid color digital papers.
- Included in Paper Packs or Page Sets/Kits.
- Designed for use as your page foundation or background.
- May be cropped to desired Shape and Size.
- You will find a variety of paper designs in ArtPlay Palettes.
- Often referred to as Dimensional Embellishments.
- Includes items such as Ribbons, Strings, Fasteners, Frames, Stitching and Flowers.
- May be offered individually and in clusters/element groups.
- You will find embellishments in ArtPlay Palettes, Elements, Stitching and MultiMedia.
- Digital stamps are also known as Brushes or BrushSets.
- They can used for Stamping, Distressing or Painting.
- See this FREE Brushes Basic Class for further guidance.
- Find BrushSets in ArtPlay Palettes, BrushSets and ToolSets.
- These are known as Transfers and Overlays in digital scrapbooking.
- Find these in ArtPlay Palettes and ArtsyTransfers.
5. Pocket Scrapbooking Cards
- Popular for use in Project Life Style scrapbooking pages.
- May be printed for use in crafts or used in their digital format.
- Use as Journaling Cards, frame ‘fillers’ or Blend with your Photos.
- ArtsyKardz are delivered in BOTH .psd and .jpg format and offer a variety of sizes.
- Blueprints for your digital scrapbooking page designs.
- Templates are comprised of multiple layers in .psd format.
- Each layer is intended toguide placement of your digital supplies.
- Layers may also be recolored or used with the Clipping Mask function.
- Watch this Blending Your Photos Using Templates video.
Learn more in the Resources section.
- Getting Started with Anna Aspnes Designs
- Useful Techniques in Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop Elements
- Outline of some of the popular categories in the aA DigitalART product range.
- PLUS 3 Artsy Digital Pocket Scrapbooking videos.
Digital Scrapbooking is a great way to celebrate your photos and document your memories.
- Read through A Beginner’s Guide to Digital Scrapbooking one more time.
- Decide what Device you’ll use for your digital scrapbooking.
- Upgrade as needed to support your chosen Photo Editing Software platform.
- Purchase and load software according to the instructions.
- Register here for to download a FREE $160 Value DigitalART MegaPack.
- Watch the included 90 minute class providing your beginners guide to digital scrapbooking.
- Email me with questions – I am ALWAYS happy to help!
- How to Scrapbook for Beginners using ArtPlay Palettes
- Using Template Collections
- 5 Ways to Create an Artsy Digital Scrapbooking Design.
And if you liked A Beginner’s Guide to Digital Scrapbooking post, please consider sharing with your friends using the social media buttons below.