Today, Creative Team Member, Trish Hoskin, is sharing inspiration for Layout Size Experimentation.
Layout Size Experimentation
Guidance for creating unconventional sized layout designs.
- Change the SIZE of your artistry designs.
- Vary the PROPORTIONS or ORIENTATION of your layouts.
- Trish likes to create visual interest in her designs using aA DigitalART and unconventional layout foundations to create artistry for her walls, as well as cards and stationary.
- You could also incorporate this pieces in to a new layout design to create a ‘layout within a layout effect.
1. Make Selections
Establish photo/image(s) and DigitalART selections
- Create a New Layout with the dimensions as preferred via File> New (Layout).
- Choose a focal image for your artistry and a supporting ArtPlay Palette.
- Select aA DigitalART elements based on the THEME and COLOR of your photos.
Note. Trish is Australian and prefers to use the metric measurements with a 24 x 8 cm layout design to yield visual interest
2. Add Layers
Add elements to your layout foundation to build complexity in your design.
- Use your image/photo to guide placements of elements and use of techniques.
- Place elements to support the COLORS in your images.
- RESIZE, ROTATE and REPOSITION elements, beyond the edges of your canvas, if needed to accommodate your chosen layout dimensions.
- Apply Blending Modes to elements to enhance vibrancy and depth of color to enhance visual interest.
- Use Brushes with the Paint Brush Tool to add ArtsyStains and ‘pictorial’ style BrushSets.
Trish generally creates:
- Either Photoshop layout of 2000 x 3000 pixels at 300 PPI
- Or 1200 x 1200 pixels at 300 PPI.
The size she chooses depends on the focal image selected.
3. Embellish Layout
Place elements to lead the eye and add visual interest.
Select and position elements on your layout design to:
- Create one or more FOCAL POINTS.
- Lead the viewers eye from one side of the canvas to the other.
- BALANCE Element Properties and create TENSION via Design Principles to yield cohesion.
See a full list here.
You can create photo artistry in any size you like.
- Establish a different SIZE for your foundation.
- Make sure the RESOLUTION is always 300 PPI to maintain ideal print quality.
- Modify and place aA DigitalART elements to support your layout dimensions.
- Use the SAME Element Properties and Design Principles to create your layout designs.